Friday, September 7, 2007

Crazy ideas

I love to listen to music and I absolutely love to sing. Unfortunately my singing voice is not very pleasant to hear....even my 2 year old has come over and covered my mouth with her hand in a nice request for me to stop butchering whatever song she is trying to enjoy. If God ever told me that he would change anything about myself to be whatever I wanted, I would actually take a singing voice over bigger boobs (obviously that is not on the list of blessings for Cindy since I was totally cheated of ever having any despite two pregnancies!) I really wish I could sing! I would do it for a living and love it! But, I don't think that voice lessons would be able to help so I will just continue to sing in my car and the shower.
I do feel like I have pretty good musical skills. I took piano lessons when I was in elementary school and I played until college. I can read music and would probably still play some if I actually had a piano. My parents sold theirs when I moved out since I was the only one who used it. I played the violin for 2 years as well. I wasn't as good at that and that was mainly because I lost interest in it quickly and never practiced. My parents didn't appreciate my flip decision and made me continue playing since they spent all the money on the nice violin. I hated it so much that I use to compete for last chair when I was in high school orchestra! There was another girl who was being forced to endure orchestra with our horrible teacher(Mr. Best...I think he was arrested for some reason last year) and we decided it was much more fun to sit at the very back and visit during class instead of playing. Every week each violin had to play a short piece of music to see where you would sit. Obviously the best musician would have the first seat and whatever number chair you ended up determined how good you were. Hillary and I would honestly compete to see who would be last chair. We would suck so bad that some people would laugh when we got done playing. Our teacher was so disgusted by the end of the semester that I don't think he made us play anymore...she and I just switched seats everyday so we could talk to different people and get everyone else in trouble.
I have always thought it would be really cool to play the drums. That request was denied by the parents when I was in high school...we didn't have money to buy a drum set anyways. My last boyfriend before I met Brandon attempted to play the drums. (Actually, if you've ever been to Disney World in Florida and had your picture taken with Goofey, then you have a photo of yourself with my ex. Yes...he is a LOOSER!) Anyhow, Scott never took lessons. He just kind of taught himself, but he would occasionally let me play around on his drums. He didn't take me very seriously when I told him I wanted to learn. Actually I'm sure he probably knew that I would be better at it than him and felt threatened by that!
Well, for some reason I have really had the drum playing thing on my mind lately. I would talk to Brandon about it, but then I would tell myself that I am too old to try and learn how to do that now. I'm a stay at home mom...when am I going to have time to take lessons? Plus, my kids go to bed at 8 so when and where would I be able to practice! I think the more I talked about it, the more intrigued my husband became. He suggested that he would get me a drum set for Christmas if this was something I really wanted to do and would make myself practice. I actually found a drummer last week who will be teaching soon and offered to give me lessons. So, I guess I'm going to have an early mid-life crisis and try to become a rock star! I do have my nose pierced so I may as well try to become a bad ass drummer. My friend Amanda (who happens to already resemble Pink) is wanting to learn to play the guitar. We'll just both take our lessons and start our own band! And our children will be totally embarrased by their mom's rocking out in the garage when their friends want to come over and hang after school! I'm just kidding....I hope Peyton will want to learn to play too...she already has the attitude!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We need to go to Austin to all the cool music stores. I am on the hunt for a guitar and I found a guy to give me lessons too. :)